Connect with us


Infant pronounced dead following alleged abduction, police pursuit in Tiffin




File Photo

Tiffin, Ohio — In a tragic and rapidly evolving incident on Tuesday afternoon, local authorities responded to an alarming report of an infant abduction and a distressed individual claiming to have committed a heinous act.

The Seneca County Sheriff’s Office received a call from the Wood County Sheriff’s Office at approximately 3:43 p.m., alerting them that a male suspect, who has not yet been named, had allegedly abducted a 7-month-old baby from the North Baltimore area and made disturbing statements indicating homicidal and suicidal intentions. He also claimed to have already taken the life of the abducted infant.

According to the information received, the suspect was armed with a firearm and was driving a yellow Chevy Camaro with black racing stripes, heading towards Tiffin. Responding swiftly, an off-duty officer from the Tiffin Police Department spotted the vehicle and began tailing it, providing crucial updates on its route to the responding deputies and officers, according to a press release from the Seneca County Sheriff’s Office.

The tense pursuit led the suspect’s vehicle to turn south on S. Sandusky St., as it was exiting town between Cottage Ave. and Ella St. It was at this point that a deputy and a TPD officer closed in on the vehicle from behind. Sensing imminent capture, the suspect abruptly accelerated, driving erratically and veering off the roadway, resulting in a devastating collision with a house at full speed, according to the release.

Officers and deputies promptly surrounded the vehicle, with their primary concern being the safety and welfare of the infant. With urgency, they shattered the back window to gain access to the bleeding and shallow-breathing child. Recognizing the severity of the situation, emergency medical services immediately requested the assistance of Life Flight, which swiftly airlifted the injured infant to Mercy Hospital for urgent medical attention. Meanwhile, EMS personnel diligently worked to extricate the male suspect from the wreckage.

The infant later died at the hospital from its injuries, according to police.

During the course of their investigation, authorities discovered a loaded firearm in the vehicle, along with at least one spent cartridge. The suspect, now in custody, was also transported to Mercy Hospital, where his condition remains undisclosed at this time.

Tiffin Police Department detectives have taken over the scene to conduct a thorough investigation into the incident.

Seneca County Sheriff Fred Stevens expressed his gratitude for the collaborative efforts among law enforcement agencies, as well as the fire and EMS departments, in their valiant attempts to save the infant’s life.

“The collaboration with our partners in law enforcement and Fire and EMS was once again on display during this tragic and rapidly evolving incident. Our hearts and prayers go out to the family of this innocent baby and to the deputies, officers, and EMS that were involved in the lifesaving attempt for this infant. No one should have to deal with tragedy like this but unfortunately, they did today,” stated Sheriff Stevens.

Authorities will continue their efforts to gather all pertinent details surrounding the abduction, the suspect’s motives, and the condition of the suspect.

This is a developing story. Check back here for updates.

Never miss another story.

Get the latest news delivered to your inbox with the free News Briefing.

Sign Up