Tiffin, Ohio — Seneca County Health Commissioner Anne Goon reported Monday that the county is now experiencing substantial community transmission of COVID-19.
Consistent with recent guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Health District is advising all residents, regardless of vaccination status, to wear masks in public indoor settings due to this increased level of community spread.
The CDC uses two indicators to determine community transmission levels:
- The number of new cases of COVID-19 per 100,000 population in the last seven (7) days, and
- The percent of COVID-19 tests in the last seven (7) days that are positive.
The CDC COVID Data Tracker reveals that Seneca County has a rate of 57.99 new cases in the past week, with 4.15% of tests being positive for COVID-19.
While the Ohio Department of Health reports the rate of new cases using rolling two-week time periods, the results are consistent. Seneca County’s two-week rate of new cases was 43.5 for the period of July 22 to August 4, which is more than double the rate for the previous two weeks.
“This signifies that the number of new COVID-19 cases is rapidly increasing in Seneca County, most likely due to the quick spread of the Delta variant,” notes Health Commissioner Goon. The Ohio Department of Health reported that over 86% of lab sequenced cases in Ohio involved the Delta variant during the first two weeks of July, in comparison to less than one percent of cases in May. Additionally, ODH reports that 98% of COVID-19 cases hospitalized since January 1st have been among unvaccinated individuals.
Goon also encourages individuals to get vaccinated now against COVID-19, noting this is the most effective tool available to prevent severe illness, hospitalization, and death. It also helps reduce the spread of the virus, which puts both unvaccinated and fully vaccinated persons at risk.
According to www.vaccines.gov, COVID-19 vaccine is currently in stock at the following locations in Seneca County:
- CVS Pharmacy, 733 W Mark St, Tiffin
- Kroger Pharmacies at 126 W High Street, Fostoria, and 790 Market St, Tiffin
- ProMedica Fostoria Hospital, 501 Van Buren St, Fostoria
- ProMedica Physicians Drs Badik and Badik, 455 W 4th St #100, Fostoria
- RiteAid Pharmacies at 113 N County Line St, Fostoria, and 530 W Market St, Tiffin
- Seneca County General Health District, 71 S Washington Street, Suite 1102, Tiffin
- Tiffin Community Health Center, 1344 W Seneca Avenue, Tiffin
Other vaccine providers may be getting additional supplies of COVID-19 vaccine, so be sure to call your favorite vaccine provider if it is not listed.