Tiffin, Ohio — The Seneca County Board of Commissioners hosted a public hearing Thursday morning for the program year 2021 Community Development Block Grant Program and approved $158,000 of potential projects for the program.
Seneca Regional Planning Commission Executive Director Charlene Watkins hosted the public hearing and explained the proposed projects that came from the Community Development Implementation Strategy meetings that preceded the hearing.
The proposed projects are as follows:
- $46,900 for an Americans with Disabilities Act-compliant sidewalk and curb project in Fostoria – $15,000 for homelessness prevention
- $64,500 for a sidewalk replacement project in New Riegel on West Tiffin and South Perry streets (the project would include a $30,000 match from the village).
- $5,000 for Fair Housing
- $25,600 for administration fees
The applications for the projects are to be submitted and will soon be reviewed by the state. If the projects are approved, they will receive funding in 2022.
In other business, the board accepted a $303,042 bid from Damschroder Roofing, of Fremont, for the roof replacement project at 3362 TR 151 & 3300 S. TR 151. The project is for work done on the roof of the buildings that house the Seneca County Department of Job and Family Services, the Seneca County Engineer’s Office and the Seneca Park District. The buildings are located just south of Tiffin near SR 100 and US 224.
Work is expected to begin on July 1 and should be completed in about two weeks.
Also during the session, County Administrator Stacy Wilson announced that the Seneca County General Health District had received national accreditation through the Public Health Accreditation Board.
Wilson said former health commissioner Beth Schweitzer, who retired earlier this year, and all of the staff at the health department have worked hard for a long time to receive the honor. The program sets standards against which the nation’s governmental public health departments can continuously improve the quality of their services and performance.
Seneca County Health Commissioner Anne Goon said she is pleased with the news.
“We especially thank former health commissioner Beth Schweitzer and former accreditation coordinator Laura Bogard for the many years of hard work invested to help make this achievement possible,” she said.
During Commissioner Mike Kerschner’s report, he mentioned that the Seneca County Sheriff’s Office had accepted 19 Immigration and Customs Enforcement detainees this week, bringing the jail’s total to 32 detainees. The jail receives federal funding for housing ICE detainees.
In new business, the commissioners approved:
- Accepting the bid and entering into a contract with Damschroder Roofing, Inc., of Fremont, for the roof replacement at 3362 TR 151 & 3300 S. TR 151. The project is for work done on the roof of the buildings that house the Seneca County Department of Job and Family Services, the Seneca County Engineer’s Office and the Seneca Park District. The buildings are located just south of Tiffin near SR 100 and US 224. The company’s bid was for $303,042.
- Approval of the Community Development Implementation Strategy.
- Affirming the county’s due diligence to provide for equal housing opportunity and affirmatively further fair housing in Seneca County.
- Authorizing Seneca Regional Planning Commission as the grant administrator for the program year 2021 Community Development Block Grant allocation and grant.
- Appointing SRPC Executive Director Charlene Watkins as the labor compliance officer for CDBG programs.
- Approval of projects and amounts for the CDBG PY 2021 Community Development Program.
- Signing and submitting the FY 2022-2024 DYS Subsidy Reclaim Grant Application on behalf of the commissioners and the Seneca County Juvenile Court.
- Accepting the bid and authorizing a contract with Transportation Equipment Salles for one, seven-passenger rear wheelchair ramp minivan on behalf of the Seneca County Opportunity Center.
- Local3 days ago
New Tiffin City Schools superintendent arrested after allegedly restraining wife, stepdaughters
- Local3 days ago
Police report gives more details on arrest of new Tiffin City Schools superintendent
- Ohio News5 days ago
Ohio woman arrested for assaulting McDonald’s employees after they refuse to mix slushie flavors
- Region5 days ago
Fostoria woman dies after being struck by train