Tiffin, Ohio — During the 2020 Downtown Summit Awards and Celebration on Wednesday, Tiffin-Seneca Economic Partnership announced that National Corner and Frost Kalnow Amphitheater at the East Green and Winterberry Farm received awards from Heritage Ohio.
The annual program, which this year was hosted via webcast on Zoom, also included award presentations, celebrated the success of 2019 and 2020 and gave a look forward to the next year.
During her comments, Downtown Main Street Manager Amy Reinhart announced that National Corner and Frost Kalnow Amphitheater at the East Green was the recipient of the Best Downtown Placemaking Award and Winterberry Farm was the recipient of the Historic Farmstead of the Year.
Awards are typically announced during the Heritage Ohio Annual Conference, which was moved online this year. Award winners will be recognized during the month of October as part of Ohio’s Preservation Month in specially pre-recorded Facebook posts.
From Heritage Ohio:
- The East Green project has been a private philanthropic project to complement Tiffin’s 2010 Strategic Plan. Phase one featured an amphitheater, phase two featured park and lighted splash pad. Tiffin Parks and Rec manages the day-to-day maintenance and programming which includes theater, concerts and kids’ activities.
- Winterberry Farm, is the “Farm that Feeds the Soul” purchased at auction three years ago, Sabrina Schnappet has a vision of adaptive reuse for this Farmstead which dates back to the 1830s. One of the oldest farms in Seneca County, it was a land grant from President James Monroe in 1924. The main barn was the first to be built in the 1830s, but received a Greek Revival update in the 1920s to “match” the Greek Revival House, outbuildings were added over the years, including a chapel in the 1880s. The property is now in the process of being listed on the National Register.
Award winners will be recognized during the month of October in specially pre-recorded Facebook posts.
The event featured the 2020 Downtown Tiffin Main Street Awards ceremony. The winners were:
- 2020 Downtown Entrepreneurial Award: Dave Spridgeon
- 2020 Downtown Development Award: The East Green Complex
- 2020 Business Legacy Award: Clover Club
- 2020 Anne Gase Downtown Achievement Award: Greg Dell
- 2020 Downtown Manager’s Appreciation Award: Tiffin Tomorrow
The night also featured a presentation by Joyce Barrett, executive director of Heritage Ohio.
For a complete recap of the event, visit http://www.tiffinseneca.org/.