Connect with us

Local

Mayor Aaron Montz: City of Tiffin canceling Sept. 4 fireworks display due to COVID-19 concerns

TiffinOhio.net Staff

Published

 

on

TIFFIN — Mayor Aaron Montz on Monday announced that there will be no city-sponsored fireworks display in Tiffin for 2020.

“Following a great deal of internal discussions and consultations with health officials, the City of Tiffin has made the painful decision to cancel the 2020 fireworks display, which had been scheduled for September 4th,” Montz wrote in a letter shared with TiffinOhio.net.

Tiffin typically holds its city-sponsored fireworks display on Independence Day, July 4, every year. But that was canceled earlier this year due to the novel coronavirus pandemic, and local leaders decided to move the fireworks display to September 4.

Montz said Seneca County is currently at Level 2 / risk level orange under the Ohio Public Health Advisory System, and that we “cannot afford” to become a Level 3 or Level 4 county.

“By holding large public events, we risk orders coming from the state to close businesses in Tiffin and Seneca County. Many of the locally owned businesses in our community have told me another shut down would be devastating and undoubtedly lead to the utter death of their business,” Montz continued.

Now, no city-sponsored fireworks display will take place in Tiffin this year.

“We all must do our part to limit the spread of COVID-19 in Tiffin and Seneca County. It is our duty to help keep one another safe by washing our hands, practicing good hygiene, social distancing, and wearing masks if possible. That obligation is not only for financial reasons, but for the mental and physical health and well-being, of our city, state, and nation. We simply cannot afford another shut down. Please do your part to limit exposure and the spread of the coronavirus in our community,” Montz wrote.

Get the latest news and updates delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up For Free