The Pentagon has confirmed that more than a dozen ballistic missiles were launched from Iran targeting at least two airbases in Iraq where American troops are stationed.
“As we evaluate the situation and our response, we will take all necessary measures to protect and defend U.S. personnel, partners, and allies in the region,” reads a statement from the Assistant to the Secretary of Defense for Public Affairs.
The Pentagon is working on initial battle damage assessments.
Just in from the Pentagon: “It is clear that these missiles were launched from Iran and targeted at least two Iraqi military bases hosting U.S. military and coalition personnel at Al-Assad and Irbil. “
Full statement from DOD spox: pic.twitter.com/5dSMXYXQk9
— Andrew deGrandpre (@adegrandpre) January 8, 2020
Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) has claimed responsibility for the attacks, according to Iranian state TV.
A U.S. military official confirmed more than a dozen rockets hit the base, the Washington Post’s Beirut bureau chief said.
Earlier in the day, the secretary of Iran’s national security council, Ali Shamkhani, said 13 “revenge scenarios” were being considered in the wake of the assassination of Qassem Suleimani, the head of Iran’s elite Quds force, and that even the most limited options would be a “historic nightmare” for the US.
The US military confirms an ongoing rocket attack on Al-Asad airbase where US troops are based. It’s the one Trump said Iraq would have to pay for if the US leaves.
— Liz Sly (@LizSly) January 7, 2020
There’s been no word on possible injuries or casualties.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.