Connect with us


Fostoria man found incompetent to stand trial after raping woman at Good Shepherd Home




FOSTORIA, OH — A Fostoria man who has been indicted after police say he raped an elderly woman residing at a Fostoria assisted living home facility has been found incompetent to stand trial.

Noel Glenn Sims II, 38, was charged with aggravated burglary and kidnapping, first-degree felonies, and attempted rape, a second-degree felony, according to court records.

According to a spokesperson for Seneca County Common Pleas Court Judge Michael Kelbley’s courtroom, Sims’ attorney, Derek Dailey, filed a motion for a plea of not guilty by reason of insanity immediately following Sims’ bond hearing in June.

Sims went through a mental evaluation and it was found that he is incompetent to stand trial.

A press release from Good Shepherd Home stated that on the morning of Sunday, June 2 at approximately 6:30, “Fostoria resident Noel Sims entered the Brethren Court Assisted Living without authorization, victimizing one of our Assisted Living residents and Good Shepherd Home.”

Sims is being accused of trespassing in an occupied structure and inflicting or attempting to inflict physical harm on a person; restraining the person by force to engage in sexual activity with the person against the person’s will; and attempting to engage in sexual conduct with the person when purposely compelling the person to submit by force or threat of force, according to the court.

According to Tiffin City Prosecutor Rich Palau, Sims was found “lying naked” on and assaulting the elderly woman. When confronted, Sims hid in the bathroom of the woman’s room.

Staff acted diligently to remove the resident from harm’s way and to safety. Staff members were able to detain Sims in the resident’s room until the police arrived at the scene and apprehended Sims.

Chris Widman, Executive Director, commented: “I want to commend our staff for their professionalism and for making our residents’ safety their number one priority.”

The 83-year-old woman was examined and released from Blanchard Valley Hospital after evaluation by a sexual assault nurse examiner, according to police.

Never miss another story.

Get the latest news delivered to your inbox with the free News Briefing.

Sign Up