For the first time since 2000, the unemployment rate in Seneca County dipped below four percent, coming in at 3.9 percent for April 2018, an 18 year low for the county. In comparison, Ohio’s unemployment rate was 4.3 percent and the national rate 3.9 percent, according to a May 18 press release from Ohio Job and Family Services.
Many factors contribute to the growth in employment, including the availability and access to jobs. Between 2014 and 2017 alone, Seneca County saw $339 million in business and building establishment and expansion, creating more than 1,400 jobs.
Already in 2018 we have seen several new business announcements, including:
- Spire Advertising – A satellite office for an Ashland, OH based advertising firm announced in March, opening in June 2018.
- The Chandelier – A new event space set to open in the former Community Civic Center in downtown Tiffin later this year.
- Trilogy Health Services – Announced in April, Trilogy is to build a senior living facility that will employ 110, at an estimated investment of $14.5 million.
- Kiku Fusion Sushi and Steak House – A full-service sushi and hibachi restaurant to locate in the Tiffin Mall later this year.
- Panda Express – An international chain serving fast-casual Chinese cuisine was approved for a setback to build on the Tiffin Mall site.
- Senecare – A local pharmacist has started a new business in the Laird Arcade offering one-on-one pharmacy services.
- Time Staffing – A northern Ohio-based staffing agency opened a branch in Tiffin earlier this year, growing to a total of 9 offices throughout the region.
- Yoga Chuck Health and Wellness Studio – Longtime yoga instructor Chuck “Yoga Chuck” Burmeister renovated and opened his own studio.
- The Attic – A new specialty shop in downtown Tiffin, an expansion of a successful Findlay, OH store.
- Glass N More Store – Another specialty glass shop that opened its fifth northern Ohio location in downtown Tiffin.
- Stover Veterinary Services – Veterinarian Dr. Amber Stover and her husband launch a mobile vet clinic in early 2018, to be accessible throughout Seneca County.
- Tiffin Candle Co. – A Tiffin couple has created their own business producing and selling community themed candles with a charitable aspect.
- Mantra Mind Management – A new consulting business in the Laird Arcade focused on self-discovery, emotional regulation, and vision creation.
- Wireless Boys – A Boost Mobile retailer opened their doors on W. Market St. in Tiffin earlier this year.
- Reineke RV – Reineke Family Dealerships purchased and relocated Fort Ball RV to W. Market St. earlier this year.
Local2 days ago
Downtown Tiffin holiday light experience planned for this Friday
Region2 days ago
Arcadia man arrested after leading police on pursuit in Findlay
Local2 days ago
Last leaf bag collection on Wednesday, Dec. 7
Ohio News2 days ago
Effort to claw back $10M in staff bonuses for Ohio teacher retirement system withdrawn